Batsheva Dance Company

Batsheva Dance Company
Batsheva Dance Company

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Personal Profile

Goals/Interests?
K: My goal in this blog is to create a thoughtful and interesting narrative of Ohad Naharim while exploring Batsheva Dance Company and the Gaga Technique.


Who are you?
K: This question is really hard! I think I have an idea of who I am, but I know that the idea I had about myself even 3 months ago has changed now. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to answer this question confidently. However, I do know as a student, I like working hard and obtaining good results!  :)


What is your history?
K: I started dancing when I was 15 and trained in and around Chicago until I came to UWM and am in pursuit of a Bachelor of Fine Arts in dance (I'm also double majoring in psychology!).


What do you value about dance?
K: I value the passion of dance. The dedication and love for the art is unparalleled.


What influences your work/lifestyle?
K: I feel like music is one of the most inspiring factors for me. I feel like music has the power to change a mood, state of mind, or creative slump. In addition to music I also feel like traveling is an inspiration. Breaking out of the comfort zone that I know and create for myself to experience something new and (maybe) risky provides a sense of freedom and power. I also feel like psychology has influenced how I view people and situations. I have begun to discover that I have a passion for psychology and analyzing experiences and people's personalities. This passion has actually surprised me since although it is nothing for how I feel about dance, I was surprised I could find an academic subject I care about.

My name is Tasha Holifield.  I am originally from Minneapolis, MN and a small studio called Lake Harriet Dance Center where my training consisted mainly of Jazz and Tap. When I got to high school I began taking dance more seriously getting involved in the Modern program at my school run by Coleen Callahan-Russell.  It was in this new dedication where I decided to audition for the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee dance department.  I got accepted and have been here for the past three years.  While I have been here I have become so much more aware of what dance is to me.  My goals and interests seem to be constantly changing and developing.  There was a point in my life where I simply wanted to dance (what ever that means), then I was interesting in choreography and owning my own company.  My most recent goal is to one day create my own company with the intentions of designing an integrated internship program that will teach young dancers not only how to dance, but how to choreograph, and also what owning a company means in terms of administrative work. I value the experiences we have as people and it is from these experiences I learn, and it is from what I learn about myself, and the world around me that influence me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment